Monday, September 5, 2011

Note to self: I Can't

So I've been teaching for 4 weeks and the 2 words that I've really begun to hate and refuse to accept in my classroom are "I CAN'T" .

I hear it at least once a day right after a see a very very pathetic try at something, really really simple things like coloring the whole paper or putting on a clean shirt.

Solution:

I have been making it a point to stop when I hear these words and show the child how to do it and then make them do it themselves. It is amazing how empowered those little faces get when they do something they insisted that they couldn't, simply because they haven't tried it yet.

Here is the note to self:
  • Never let the words "I Can't" have a place in your home. You can do anything that you set your mind to, and teach your children that as well.
  • Asking for help is not a bad thing but instead of "Help me, I can't" teach your children to say "Will you show me how?"

No comments:

Post a Comment